MEDEFEND is a Claims-made policy. It means if there is a new claim/ potential claim (Circumstance) being made against you, MEDEFEND will provide coverage as long as you have an active MEDEFEND policy.
Example: 3.3.2021 you receive a claim and you notify MEDEFEND. Your active MEDEFEND policy is from 1.1.2021 – 31.12.2021.
Under the Claims-made policy, it is important for you to notify MEDEFEND immediately once you are aware of a claim/ circumstance.
A Claim includes:
- A letter of demand
- A writ from court.
A Circumstance includes:
- Lawyer/ Patient request for medical records/ report relating to a complaint
- Verbal or written complaint from a patient
- Grievance meeting
- Investigation from MOH/MMC/MDC
An occurrence-based indemnity gives you cover for claims/ circumstance arising from a medical incident within the period when you were with the indemnity provider regardless of when you notify the claim/ circumstance (when you are made aware of it).
- 2018: Treated patient A (you were with Occurrence-based provider)
- 2021 January : Switched to MEDEFEND and policy is from 1.1.2021 – 31.12.2021
- 2021 December: You receive a claim against you by Patient A and you notify MEDEFEND.
There is no coverage under MEDEFEND as the claim arises from a treatment that you gave in 2018 while you were with the Occurrence-based provider. We will advise you notify the said provider.